Friday, September 3, 2010

Side line adventure on the Mississippi

Afterr many folks have listened to my escapade on the boat, they encouraged me to write about it here on the blog.




We were at a quiet anchorage on the Diversion Channel just off the Mississippi River. It was a hot, sticky day, and the evening brought some showers. We closed up the windows and went to bed. I had set the alarm for midnight as Erwin has some meds he has to take (temporary). After the alarm went off and he took his pills, I climbed back into my bed (we were in two different beds because it was so hot), I moved my left leg over to the cooler sheets and felt a cool, and wet spot on the bed. I was afraid that when I slid the window open there was rain on my bed. Wet inside the boat is never a good thing.


As I turned on the light to check the bed, much to my total shock there was a 3 inch green frog that jumped from the bed onto the wall next to the bed and stuck there. I did not want to scream as there were two other boats anchored quite close to us. I muffled my sheer horror and tried to speak but I basically just babbled about, frog, bed, and help to my husband. He explained later that the total panic on my face was something that he was not used to seeing. Well, hello, a frog in my bed is a new experience for me too!




He picked the frog up with a piece of paper towel and tossed him off the side of the boat. We figured this common tree frog (which can scale tall buildings) swam over to the boat, climbed up the side and wiggled in between the screen which is snapped to the outside of the window casing and the window. I think when I slide the window open it must have startled him to jump on the bed. Well now that was two of us that were more than a little surprised me and the frog. I am not sure if my husband was surprised or not.



The rest of the night I did not sleep all that well as I wasn’t sure if the frog brought a friend or what. The next day at breakfast we chatted about the crazy night. Then I was moving a small rug outside the main cabin door and sure enough that frog had crawled under it. It might be that my husband thought he went back to the water, or he did have a friend, or he liked the boat and climbed back in. So now my hubby jumped into action and was going to chase down the frog. Wrong again, that frog could jump a good three feet and he was on the go. My husband did not catch him and we could not find him, so we may have a mascot or he may have jumped ship.



All and all that is my story. It is not something that is common with anyone even the many folks we have met in the boating community.

No comments:

Post a Comment